Lets look at an actual listing and take it apart:
FADDEN, John T. “Jack”; 8; 16 Oct 1943 OWH eve p 12 & 13 @ Holy Sepulchre
What each segment means:
- FADDEN, John T. — Name of the deceased person
- “Jack” – Nickname that appears in the obituary
- 8; – age at time of death
- 16 Oct 1943 – the date the listing appears in the newspaper (this is not the death date).
- OWH — the newspaper the obituary appears in. In this case, it is the Omaha World Herald. (A list of Omaha newspapers and their abbreviations will be published here soon.)
- eve – denotes the evening edition of the paper. The morning edition is abbreviated as “morn“.
- p 12 & 13 – the page number(s) in the newspaper the item appears on.
- @ Holy Sepulchre – the cemetery the person is buried in. If the cemetery is outside of Omaha city limits, the city/town the cemetery is located in will be listed after the name of the cemetery.